Skills Centre Board of Director’s Job Description
The Board of Directors guarantees the accountability of the Skills Centre. It is a policy/governance Board responsible for financial and strategic oversight of the organization and delegates authority over operational issues to staff through the executive director.
The Board governs with an emphasis on outward vision, encourages diversity in viewpoints, strategic leadership, collective decisions, clear distinction of Board and chief executive roles, and is future-focused and proactive.
- Operates with consistency and is accountable for competent, conscientious and effective accomplishment of its obligations.
- Cultivates a sense of group responsibility. The Board is responsible for excellence in governing, is the initiator of policy, and uses the expertise and strengths of individual members to enhance the ability of the Board as a whole to express its values.
- Expects of its members: regular attendance, preparation for meetings, respect for roles, and ensuring the continuity of governance capability.
- Provides inspiration, direction ad control to the organization through the careful establishment of Board written policies reflecting the Board’s values and perspectives.
Contributions of the Board shall be:
- Their collective expertise and knowledge in effective governance with the wider community.
- Participation in the meetings and decisions of the Board and its committees.
- The board meets in September, November, January, March and May. The Annual General Meeting is in June.
Core committees are:
- Policy & Planning (the executive committee of the board)
- Development (Board recruitment, training and capacity development)
- Audit (oversees financial reporting and the annual audit)
- Bursary Committee (oversees and participates the award of Skills Centre bursaries)
- HR (performance and evaluation of the executive director)
The Board commits itself and its members to ethical and business-like conduct in carrying out its mandate. This includes proper use of authority and appropriate decorum when acting as Board members. Board members also commit to follow all Board policies and the Code of Conduct.