The Skills Centre provides free and low-cost skills training and employment programs. We will help you get the certifications you need, help with your resume and interview skills, and offer financial support while you learn.Get started today
Skills Training for Youth
We’ll work with you to identify jobs you’re interested in, training you need, and help you get the certifications that will get you on the right track. You can access up to $1,500 in certification courses and you don’t pay a thing!
Get up to $350 in payments as you complete the steps to getting & holding a job.
We offer job specific certificates such as:
- Super Host
- Emergency First Aid
- Food Safe
- Serving it Right
- Fall Protection
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Forklift Operator
How it works
Complete the program at your own pace or join a small group of other like-minded learners and work with us over four to five weeks to get the skills and certifications you need to be competitive in the labour market.
- Workshops on job searches, writing & updating your resume, and interview skills
- Workshops on soft skills including communication, team work, interpersonal skills, meeting employer expectations, customer service, problem solving, coping skills (such as stress, shift work), health and wellness, mental health & self-care, and safety on the job
- Job placement support including wage subsidies and matching you with an employer
- Funding for transportation, childcare, up to $225 for work clothing or gear, and more.
Meet your facilitator
Bethel Torres has been part of the Skills Centre as admin support and more recently as our new project specialist. Helping guide youth to achieve what they want is an important part of the program, and Bethel says there is so much that we can learn at any point in our lives.
Driven by her commitment to make a positive impact on our clients, she takes pride in providing support to our programs for young adults.
"I was very impressed with the level of service provided by the Skills Centre. I was able to find full-time employment in my field within a month of completion of my courses. I highly recommend taking advantage of what the Skills Centre has to offer."