Technical Analyst 4
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
As a Technical Analyst at FortisBC, this position is responsible for providing technical support to the end users at FortisBC. This includes, but is not limited to, desktop computing, mobile computing, communications, end-user support, printing devices, network infrastructure and server storage, data centre equipment.
- Performs all of the duties of a Technical Analyst 1, 2 & 3 plus the following (e.g. specific duties of the job):
- Creates and maintains an Infrastructure Roadmap by researching and recommending future IS infrastructure technology architecture based on FortisBC business and technology needs, strategic fits, industry best practices, and product capabilities. Performs IS infrastructure capacity planning, technology evaluations and recommendations in conjunction with Enterprise Architecture, IS Applications, and business units, as necessary. Develops long-term technology lifecycle strategy for IS infrastructure domains such as desktop hardware and software, storage and data recovery, server and data center, voice and data technology, network and cyber security, and communication and collaboration.
- Using the IS Infrastructure Technology Roadmap, identifies and prioritizes IS infrastructure initiatives to plan appropriate projects. Identifies functional and technical requirements, defines project scope, identifies project-resourcing requirements and develops project budget estimates. Prepares business cases for project funding approval.
- Manages a portfolio of IS Infrastructure projects, in coordination with external service providers and suppliers to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of business technology initiatives. Develops communication strategy regarding the infrastructure upgrade/change plans, site impacts, transition plans and responsibilities of all. Identifies potential conflicts arising from policies, standards and guidelines, or technology architecture, and recommends solutions for resolution. Identifies technical change management activities, and participates in quality control reviews and production turnover activities analyzes and processes complex IS infrastructure requests to ensure that the specified technology is appropriate for the clients’ needs, and that the technology will operate in FortisBC’s IS infrastructure environment. Determines the technology requirements and assesses the impact of the request, advising on alternatives and specifying the technical work in detail for FortisBC service delivery partners. Approves the technology requests when appropriate and ensures that the submitted requests are completed as required.
- Develops and maintains workflow procedures and processes, as well as IS guidelines, standards and policies such as security guidelines and policies related to the acceptable use of IS assets, desktop and server hardware and operating system standards, and server and storage virtualization guidelines.
- Provide/lead advanced technical support to company infrastructure current systems.
- Respond to support calls and system outages
- Troubleshoot advanced infrastructure problems (hardware and company standard software)
- Perform/lead upgrades, installations, preventive maintenance tasks
- Repair infrastructure software and/or hardware and work with external vendors to obtain repairs when necessary.
- Set-up/deliver data centre/network equipment, dispose of excess surplus equipment.
- Track work performed in problem management system, prepare progress reports, administer and maintain corporate data centre/network
- Maintain up-to-date superior knowledge of the company’s infrastructure systems.
- Manage multiple resources, task breakdown, and delegation and set milestones.
- Estimate/manage/complete a series of tasks required for an intermediate or large project.
- Provide senior level support to the Technician and Technical analyst roles
- Perform duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the evaluation of the job.
- Some travel may be required
- 2 year Diploma in Computer or Electronics Technology, Computer Science or related field.
- 8 years’ experience related work experience.
- Advanced knowledge of end-user computing, data center, server and virtualization, data storage and backup, networking, telecommunications, collaboration environments, cloud technology and architect, cyber security and peripherals.
- Superior interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Superior written and oral communications and presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, including the ability to work in a fastpaced, changing environment.
- Competence in the execution of large projects.
- Ability to analyze problems.
- Leadership and management skills.
- Valid Class 5 British Columbia Driver’s license.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.