The Pool Manager is responsible for performing the majority of administrative duties at the Rossland Pool, including lifeguarding, swimming instruction, programming and staff development, scheduling, safety and custodial duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides quality customer service and maintains positive relationships with the public and fellow staff members.
- Monitors activities of patrons and ensures safety and behavioral standards are maintained.
- Responsible for staff scheduling and coordinates daily staff assignments. Ensures appropriate staffing levels, including responding to large bather counts and or staff illness. Prepares and signs off on employee timesheets.
- Ensures that Staff are conducting themselves in an appropriate and professional manner.
- Develops and schedules pool programming, lesson sets, class lists, ensuring the facility opens and closes on time and all shifts are covered.
- Performs lifeguarding duties to the Lifesaving Society of BC & Yukon standards.
- Instructs a wide range of swimming lessons, including class preparation and student evaluations and maintains related participant records.
- Performs routine maintenance functions including, but not limited to: pool water chemistry tests, hosing, picking up garbage, mopping, refilling supplies, head counts, etc. Ensures water chemistry and levels are balanced and adjusts, if required. Insures building and equipment are secure after closing.
- Responsible for Pool Inventory including but not limited to pool chemicals, lesson badges, first aid supplies, pool testing reagents and lifeguarding supplies.
- Assuring that Staff have the required training and safety equipment to do their jobs professionally and safely.
- Plans, develops, leads and participates in programs, special events, lifesaving courses, and aquafit classes.
- Addresses problems and concerns to the Recreation Department and/or Deputy CAO/CO.
- Ability to perform other related duties as required including the completion of an annual report.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED: Immediate Supervisor: Recreation Programmer Positions directly supervised by this position: Manager Responsible: Senior Lifeguards/Instructors Junior Lifeguards/Instructors Volunteers Manager of Recreation and Events
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
ESSENTIAL: Education: Enrolled or completed Post Secondary Education, preferably in a complimentary program
Experience: Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Lifeguard/Instructor Licenses/Certificates: 1. National Lifeguard Service 2. CPR-Level C 3. Standard First Aid 4. Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or equivalent
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public and fellow staff members.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Skilled in lifeguarding, first aid and resuscitation
- Skilled in swim instruction methods
- Ability to create an exciting atmosphere through enthusiastic leadership of activities
- Ability to identify unsafe conditions and to respond accordingly.
- Demonstrated ability to lead by example and to give direction to Aquatic Staff.
DESIRABLE: Experience: 1. Previous Municipal Pool experience
Licenses/Certificates: 1. Pool Operator Level 1 2. LSI 3. Aquatic Fitness certification