JOB SUMMARY Reporting to the Director of Municipal Services, the Operations Manager is responsible for the management and administration of all activities, staff, fleet, equipment, and other resources required for the operations, care and maintenance of the City’s municipal infrastructure.
The Operations Manager is responsible for the overall delivery of services related to roads, sidewalks underground utilities including water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment and stormwater systems, parks and green spaces, buildings and facilities, the cemetery, vehicle and equipment fleet and solid waste. The Operations Manager will be responsible for the delivery of services in a safe and efficient manner utilizing unionized staff and service, maintenance and construction contracts where applicable. The Operations Manager will also be responsible for the preparation and implementation of the annual operations and capital budgets related to Civic Works and will participate in long-range financial and strategic planning.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
GENERAL DUTIES: 1 Promote and manage the health, safety and well-being of all Civic Works staff. 2. Comply with all policies, rules and regulations of the municipality as well as the federal and provincial governments and their agencies. 3. Address, investigate, and prepare reports on citizen concerns. Communicate with stakeholders regarding interruptions in services or inconveniences resulting from maintenance and/or development work. 4. Manage the purchasing of goods and services for the Civic Works department. 5. Create and monitor annual work plans for Civic Works activities. 6. Operational management of all contract work pertaining to the department. 7. Implement preventative maintenance schedules and oversee on-going maintenance. 8. Manage and oversee efficient and cost-effective operations of all vehicles, machinery, and equipment. 9. Ensure necessary analysis of water and wastewater treatment as required by the Ministry of Environment is performed and reported. 10. Manage the City compost facility. 11. Administer the solid waste program. 12. Coordinate the maintenance of City-owned buildings.
BUDGET AND LONG-RANGE FINANCIAL PLAN:
- Prepare Civic Works operating and capital budgets and long-term financial and strategic planning.
- Monitor expenditures against the budget on an on-going basis and takes appropriate action to maintain a balanced budget.
- Ensure the cost-effectiveness of operations.
- Approve the payment of contracts, progress payments and final payments and all applicable Civic Works invoices in compliance with the City’s Purchasing Policy.
- Ensure necessary documentation and reporting is completed in a timely manner.
- Implement policies established by Council.
- Develop, review, and recommend up-dates to policies in those areas under the control of this position.
- Maintain daily records of all operations.
- Complete special assignments as assigned by the Director of Municipal Services.
- Attend City related meetings as requested by the Director of Municipal Services.
- Prepare reports as required.
- Recruit, select, train, and develop staff.
- Apply discipline according to policies and procedures.
- Establish performance standards and monitor employee performance.
- Conduct performance evaluations of Civic Works personnel.
- Establish deadlines and schedules and assign work to Civic Works personnel.
- Approve timesheets for Civic Works staff.
- Resolve Civic Works employee complaints and respond to grievances according to the Collective Agreement.
Immediate Subordinates: Roads Foreperson, Parks Foreperson, Chief Treatment Plant Operator, Mechanical Shop Foreperson, Water & Sewer Foreperson.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of municipal operations and maintenance practices and procedures.
- High level of knowledge and proficiency related to water and wastewater treatment, distribution, and collection.
- Considerable knowledge in the operation and maintenance of civic works fleet and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of all legislation that may apply to municipal operations.
- Considerable knowledge of parks, horticulture, and arboriculture.
- Proficiency in record keeping and system maintenance.
- Proficiency in budget preparation and administration.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities effectively and meet deadlines.
- Strong communication skill, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively represent the interests of the municipality.
- Ability to establish and maintain a high degree of public confidence and public relations.
- Ability to foster and maintain a positive team environment, share work expertise and knowledge and support, train and develop other staff as needed.
- Strong attention to detail, good communication skills, ability to work without close supervision.
- Continual updating of knowledge, personal education, and development in aspects of municipal governance, and organizational development as they apply to the position.
- Ability to Maintain confidentiality at all times.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- A post-secondary diploma in Civil Engineering Technology (CET), or Environmental Engineering Technology (EET) or a combination of training and experience in civil works may be considered.
- A minimum of 5-years of directly related experience in progressively more responsible positions within a municipal setting, with a minimum of 3-years in a management operations role.
- Intermediate computer skills. Strong knowledge in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Training in human resources management, infrastructure management, and/or general administration.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License.