Operations Manager - Benson Oil
B.A. Benson & Son Ltd. (Benson Oil ) is an independent diesel, gas and lubricant distribution company based in Trail, BC that provides fuels and lubricants required by residential, commercial, and industrial customers from locations throughout the Kootenay’s. As an independent family-owned business, Benson Oil offers an exciting and positive workplace with excellent benefits and career advancement for their employees.
Reporting to the President, the Operations Manager is accountable for the day-to-day operations of Benson Oil’s (Benson) fuel distribution activities including its retail and bulk site locations, as well as providing supervision and support to dispatch, procurement, safety, and warehouse/inventory functions. The role is in Trail, BC.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Supervise day-to-day operations of Benson’s locations to ensure all tasks are conducted correctly and efficiently (i.e., fuel delivery, cardlock systems, daily reports, site cleanliness, etc.) • Conduct daily/weekly walk-around inspections of the grounds and buildings to identify any yard/facility clean-up requirements and ensure regular terminal maintenance duties are performed to maintain a clean work environment • Monitor and oversee the maintenance of equipment to ensure everything is accounted for and remains in working order • Assist the President in developing Benson’s operational budget, and manage monthly expenses and revenues to meet budget and profit goals • Work with the President to plan short and long-term business goals • Identify and address performance/business opportunities and challenges • Work with President in developing and analyzing monthly sales reports • Manage all facets of fuel, lubricant, and related product inventory requirements (i.e. purchasing, receiving, delivery, quality, documentation, etc.) • Review and revise existing and/or develop and implement operational policies and procedures for Benson to ensure continuous improvement and efficiency of operations • Play a significant role in driving for continued customer service excellence, and identify ways to increase quality of customer experience • Support team members in building long-term customer and vendor relationships • Coordinate truck maintenance to ensure the fleet is in compliance with provincial regulations at all times • Coordinate and conduct safety meetings and emergency response training, and develop procedures for handling and transporting fuel products in compliance with provincial and federal regulations • Learn about new products and develop product knowledge to assist customers with purchases
• Ensure the efficient operation, utilization and allocation of transportation resources • Ensure the safe, efficient and timely delivery of fuel and lubricant orders to customers • Receive customer orders and schedule drivers and vehicles to deliver shipments • Ensure orders are safely loaded and documented before dispatch • Chart routes taken by drivers and modify predetermined routes as required • Monitor transportation costs and impact on customer delivery charges • Negotiate delivery rates with customers • Keep customers apprised of delivery schedule • Plan pickup and delivery of orders in ways to minimize cost and increase efficiency • Document and resolve any issues related to late deliveries and customer complaints • Respond to calls from customers and drivers • Maintain dispatch log to record all details of pickup and delivery orders (i.e., customers’ orders, drivers’ information, haulage charge, expenses, freight, and inventory) • Maintain excellent working relationship with drivers
• Ensure team members follow all health and safety regulations and abide by safe work practices • Develop and administer safety training policies and practices related to the handling of hazardous and dangerous goods • Report and investigate accidents and incidents, and complete action plans • Participate in monthly safety meetings, conduct site inspections, and escalate as required any safety and environmental issues
• Ensure a good work environment for employees • Assist in recruitment of new employees • Ensure employees are motivated and productive • Coordinate and manage work schedules, vacation and onboarding activities • Develop and deliver all training activities
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• University degree/diploma in business and/or high school diploma and 5+ years progressive experience with a focus in operations management, distribution, and dispatch • Knowledge of organizational effectiveness • Sound technical knowledge of operations, repairs, and maintenance of work-related equipment • Solid understanding of general finance and budgeting, including profit and loss, balance sheet and cash-flow management. • Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills • Good organizational, analytical, decision making and problem-solving skills • Excellent interpersonal skills with proven leadership ability • Proven track record of recognizing and providing good customer service. • Good computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Suite of products) • Must be legally authorized to work in Canada • Must hold a valid driver’s license with a clean driver abstract
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Industry knowledge relating to the distribution of fuel products and services would be an asset • Understanding of necessary legal and regulatory documents • Ability to address problems and opportunities for the company • Ability to manage people effectively using good listening, motivation and communication skills • High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability • Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
All personnel within this job description shall be subject to cross-training into jobs within Benson based on company needs
• Casual dress • Dental care • Disability insurance • Extended health care • Life insurance • RRSP match • Vision care
• Monday to Friday
• Operations: 3 years (required)
Wage Estimate: $85,000 - $100,000.00