HEALTH AND SAFETY SPECIALIST
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Development, implementation and maintenance of the City’s health, safety and wellness policies, programs and procedures to align with corporate health and safety goals.
- Accountable for safe work practices through due diligence and extensive knowledge and understanding of the role of WorkSafe BC and related statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Promotes positive health and safety practices through active participation in all aspects of Occupational Health, Safety and Wellness programs including regular inspections, safety meetings, investigations and safety events.
- Manages and administers the Health and Safety budget, maintains applicable documentation, establishes performance measures, and prepares reports.
- Participates in incident investigations, risk assessments, and safety inspections as required. Identifies areas of concern and makes recommendations on safety issues.
- Cultivates and promotes a positive safety culture throughout the City by communicating with all levels of the organization. Raises awareness of safety risks through a variety of communication tools to reduce, avoid and protect employees from hazards in the workplace.
- Monitors workplace safety compliance of both City worker sites and City contractor sites.
- Delivers safety coaching and develops, coordinates and initiates OH&S training.
- Monitors effectiveness of the Employee and Family Assistance Program and related services.
- Maintains contact with other industry professionals and through attendance of conferences and various industry meetings for the purpose of improving corporate learning.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS Essential Desirable Post-secondary diploma, degree or certificate in Occupational Health & Safety accompanied with 5-7 years related experience. Experience in a unionized municipal environment. Certification as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP). Knowledgeable in areas of the Workers’ Compensation Act, WorkSafeBC OHS Regulations, incident investigation techniques, WorkSafeBC Claims management, OH&S Program Management. Experience with implementing and managing return to work initiatives. Hands-on experience in designing and implementing safety initiatives and delivering safety training to diverse work groups. Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to be self-directed, organized, results focused and detail oriented while working under pressure and managing competing priorities. Strong decision-making, conflict management, and problem-solving capability. Strategic planning and goal setting. Effective human resources management skills. Extensive computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook and visual presentations (PowerPoint) Must be able to handle confidential and sensitive information. A valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Services the Health and Safety Specialist oversees the effective and efficient operations of the City’s health, safety and wellness programs. Responsible for providing leadership, direction and hands-on expertise to the organization on health, safety, and wellness matters, ensuring regulatory compliance and fostering a positive, healthy and safe workplace. The Health and Safety Specialist works closely with Corporate Services and HR staff coordinating complex return to work situations, while acting as a resource to directors, managers, supervisors and employees throughout the City.