Curator - Kootenay Gallery of Art
Are you interested in working in a fun and artistic work environment? Kootenay Gallery of Art, History and Science Society is looking for a permanent part time Gallery Curator to oversee the development, coordination, and administration of all aspects of the Gallery’s ongoing exhibitions.
The ideal candidate would have an academic background in a field related to the position, excellent written and verbal communication, team working skills, and a passion for the arts.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director the Curator would ultimately include the efficient and smooth operation and planning of yearly exhibits including:
· Research, development, and implementation of the annual exhibitions schedule for temporary exhibitions in the two galleries
· Fabrication, installation, and disassembling of exhibits including:
– Develop storylines and themes and organize displays and exhibitions
· Work with contract personnel (guest curators) as appropriate
· Develop and oversee exhibition programs that extend exhibition impact
· Ensure a high level of quality and professionalism in the presentation of all exhibitions and interpretive materials
· Build and maintain positive relationships with local and regional artists
· Research and write material such as curator statements, essays, grants, etc.
· Liaise with artists and volunteers
· Assist in reports and grant writing
· Oversee exhibition promotions and collaborate with the Executive Director in preparing exhibition budgets and grant applications
· Assist in ensuring exhibition reporting requirements are met in a timely and professional manner
· Available to work a varied work schedule and additional hours based on operational demands that may include day, weekend, and/or evening shifts
· Other duties as required
· An academic background in art education, studio art, and/or art history
· Experience with an electronic accounting program and Desktop Publishing
· Experience with arts programming
· Strong social media skills